I just couldn't resist framing up a little blog post around this very interesting article from InHabitat.
This is well thought out and looks fabulous for those who are planning a new build or even retrofitting an old building that will get a facelift.
Here is a small quote from his website 2030Palette.org"...
Consider growth boundaries when planning settlement areas that:
- Preserve natural resources and sensitive habitats;
- Incorporate population growth projections;
- Direct growth to infill, retrofits, and existing transit locations;
- Allow for adjacent new transit-oriented growth areas; and
- Establish or preserve plant and animal migration corridors.
When infill and growth areas within defined boundaries cannot accommodate growth rates, consider planning for separate and distinct but transit-supported settlement areas."